Monday, June 28

Put Them Side by Side...

This is today's lead article in Townhall.com, a highly regarded politically conservative newsite: "Abstinence In Uganda Credited For Dramatic Decrease In AIDS" Ugandan first lady honored for support of 'True Love Waits' program. Link.

This is today's lead article in Center for American Progress, a highly regarded progressive or liberal news site: "Special Report: Iraq After June 30-A Strategy for Progress." Link

I ask myself, "What issues of the day are most important to me?"

Shall I focus on the success of abstaining from sex in Uganda in the fight against aids? Or, shall I focus on what America can do to clean up its mess in Iraq and get the hell out?

Hmmmm, even that pause is too long. Today the US handed over control of a country to its people. This is a momentous event no matter which way you lean. Aids in Uganda is important but to put abstinence ahead of the bloody birth of a new Iraq is like looking up to the sky when crossing a busy intersection: Something of immediate and vital concern, like a semi truck, might come along and flatten your ass!

A side by side comparison of the pros and cons makes me glad to be a progressive. I couldn't stand being mired in bad sex, bad religion and bad commentary day in and day out. Where's the focus for the cons? Does every tough problem, every hardship, every disaster, every inexplicable event need a veneer of sex, religion and slander in order to get near it? The question has already been answered by the mother of all neo cons, Barbara Bush...

"Why should we hear about body bags and deaths and how many, what day it's gonna happen? It's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

*I shake my head*

AK