Tuesday, August 31

Well? Which is it? Winnable or Un winnable?

The "War on Terror" can now be put on a shelf next to the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Poverty." Right? Just this week, Bush commented that a war on terrorism is un winnable. I tried to suppress the glimmer of grudging respect for Mr. Bush and reminded myself that this show of wisdom was probably a campaign ploy to show, ummm, something, can't think what.

I've always thought that warring against the result of a problem rather than its cause is pretty hard going and that more enlightened and communication-oriented approaches would better serve the global community in the 21ST Century. Rather than an isolationist, hard line, warrior approach, it's time to embrace an inclusive, more open and diplomatic approach to finding and eliminating the root causes of "terrorism", drug and alcohol addiction, ignorance and poverty in the world. Even though Mr. Bush's opponents might rightly point out this "flip flop" I was hoping they'd just say Bush finally wised up, 'bout time, blah blah blah.

John Edwards got his licks in with backhanded compliments about Bush's sudden "flip flop" and I normally would cheer, but instead became wistful and started dreaming of a two party political system in America filled with balanced and reasoned debate and wise decision making. *sigh* It's beautiful!

WHAM! Bush has flopped his flip or flipped his flop, or recovered from his RNC beating and now says America will win this war on, hmmm, bad people, places and things - "terror".

I'd love to work up a really snide laugh, but I like that dream of American political team work, unity and, ah hell, I guess there really is no Santa Claus and Easter bunny. If we don't keep this dream of unity alive, though, I think we'll have another terror to worry about over the next four years. We're looking at the terror of unbridled and hideous muck raking unlike anything we've ever seen during the Clinton years or at any other time. I have already canceled my newspaper subscription, rarely watch TV and am now afraid that Internet news is next. Maybe I'll write my own news stories according to my own view of reality and avoid the awful truth.

I can almost understand why Bush doesn't read the papers or follow the news at all. Most of the time it's best to be the boy in the bubble, except this time. I guess the bubble boy's speech writers forgot to check with Rove or Poindexter or whoever feeds the President the spin of the day, and now we have a frickin, flip floppin mess!

Merriam-Webster says "flip-flop" is the sound or motion of something flapping loosely.

Seems about right.