Sunday, January 9



Ugly Backyard Blues....

My backyard is ugly. The picture above attests to this fact and if I posted a picture of it today, it would look ugly and flooded. It's been very rainy for the past couple of weeks and all I can think of is getting out in that back yard and digging.

One of my annual resolutions is to create a "meditation area or garden" in my back yard and the wet soil would be easy to excavate and rearrange. I am so unused to bad weather that I've become slightly stir crazy and am thinking about buying rain boots, slickers, and other rain gear just so I can dig up my back yard. Whew! I must get a grip. Maybe I should go to a tanning salon or "gasp" the gym and purge my system of these crazy thoughts.

I have discovered some cool outdoor things though. One of the best ideas is a "Rubbersidewalk." A company in Gardena, Calif recycles old tires and makes pavers that work really well as city sidewalks. The benefit of these things is that they are more flexible and absorbent so tree roots don't do as much damage. They also make pavers for home use, too.

I've been shopping around for slate and natural stone and these pavers cost about the same. Slate is much better looking and is equally durable, but I like the recycle idea a lot.

Hmmm, wonder if the army surplus store has rain gear?