Monday, January 17



WHAT WOULD MARTIN LUTHER KING DO?

What would his position be on the Afghanistan and Iraq wars against "terror." I know he would choose peace over bloodshed. He would advocate personal, one-on-one, hard work over technocratic bunker bombs. One of his greatest speeches, "Loving Your Enemies," clearly outlines the tedious, difficult and ultimately successful way to deal with those that hate and harm.

What would his position be on the Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo prisoner rights and torture scandals? I bet he'd hold a light up to the U.S. justice system and its treatment of US prisoners. He'd examine the source not the symptom of the problem.

What would his position be on gay marriage and gay lifestyles? I bet he'd examine U.S. culture itself and help us discover why a civil ceremony uniting two people so that they may receive civil and legal rights causes such a furor. He'd find a way to look at the issue and strip it of the hate and fear so prevalent in our culture and point the way toward the love and unity inherent in marriage.

What would his position be on the future of America. I believe he would continue to work toward his vision of America, warts and all, as expressed in his speech, "The American Dream."

"..,So yes, the dream has been shattered, (Amen) and I have had my nightmarish experiences, but I tell you this morning once more that I haven’t lost the faith. (No, sir) I still have a dream (A dream, Yes, sir) that one day all of God’s children will have food and clothing and material well-being for their bodies, culture and education for their minds, and freedom for their spirits. (Yes)"


May all beings know love and peace!