Sunday, March 13



Can't Resist The Make-Overs....

“Hello. My name is Kathy and I’m a makeover-aholic.”

There should be a group for my kind of addiction. It’s insidious. I used to be able to say that I could take television or leave it, and bragged that I left it most of the time. All that has changed with the make-over shows.

At first it was an occasional “Trading Places” or “What Not to Wear” on cable TV. These shows are not damaging, yet. I still have to struggle to remember the air times and they have morphed and changed a few too many times to be a hard core “viewing habit.” Then, a couple of months ago, I began to watch HGTV whenever I had a spare minute day or night. Now, on top of all of these hooks and lures, ABC has discovered this untapped reservoir of addiction and has me hooked on their Extreme Makeovers! All it takes to put me in a makeover coma is a happy, peppy spokesperson talking about redoing, improving, making-over a tacky someone or something. It’s such a mesmerizing reality-fantasy.

Every Thursday night at 8 p.m., I hear the sad story of someone like Becky and her sister on Extreme Make Over. The makeover crews go to town and before you can finish your diet Coke, she looks like a slightly overweight Marisa Tomei! Whoa! That could be me! What the show doesn’t go into is how Becky managed to make a nice life for herself and be happy, before the make-over, but who really cares about all of that.

So, I’m now two hours away from the big TV fix: Extreme Makeover – Home Edition with mouthy hunk, Ty Pennington. Bring on the bull dozers and teary-eyed families!

Wonder why remodel and makeover shows are so fascinating. Hmmmm.


May all beings know love and peace.