Thursday, March 15

Scratching the Itch



I remember reading a USA Today article a few years ago which reported a steep decline in the sexual activities of the Japanese. Apparently, things have not improved over the years.

"..,A record 39.7 percent of Japanese citizens ages 16-to-49 have not had sex for more than a month."

This is perilous news for the island nation, and reminds me of one of my favorite books and movies, "Children of Men" by P.D. James. The movie has disappeared from theaters despite it's warm reception at the box office. It's definitely on my DVD rental list. That's right, I'd watch it again - maybe buy it!

I read this novel in the early 1990s. It presents a world ruled by fear and violence in which women are unable to give birth. The pervading sense of hopelessness in both the book and movie make it hard to keep reading and watching, until one pregnant woman is discovered. What struck me when I read the book was how I never thought of a world without children, a sterile world. I developed a slight anxiety and fascination for such a fictional world, a pointless and dying scifi world.

And, like many great scifi novels, some kernels of truth in this book seems to be manifesting. Survival of the species and all urges to create, live and thrive will overcome this aberration. I'm not even going to "hope" but I'm going to know it to be true. *sigh*

May all beings know love, peace and satisfying sex.