Wednesday, March 7

Identity Crisis!



There are some people who shop every day. I welcome them like a member of my family every time they come into the shop. If I see something new that one of my favorite shoppers might like, I'll put it aside or hide it for them. They always look, regularly buy, and are sad when they can't find something to take home.

I'm intrigued with this compulsion. For me, shopping of any kind, including shopping for groceries, is an unsatisfying bore. Unless I need something desperately (shoes!!! purses!!!), I avoid rubbing elbows or bumping carts with my fellow shoppers. I've tried on-line shopping and was pretty happy with it, until identity theft became so popular.

Well, here's a nifty ID reality check, StolenID. I read the FAQs, the privacy info, everything, and then entered the info. This application checks to see if my info matches reported identity theft info. So far so good. Someone suggested using one credit card for on-line purchases only - preferably American Express - is best because only one card will need to be monitored or cancelled. I've also noticed that bank and credit cards are more closely monitored by the banks and they will call to make sure I'm the one using the card(s) more often than is usual.

Well, time to break down and get a new purse and shoes. I think I'll pay cash!