Wednesday, June 11

True Minds



Sonnet 116
by William Shakespeare

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove.

O no, it is an ever-fixèd mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wand'ring bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved."

We have been together more than twenty-five years and each day seems new.

I know big secrets and small quirks about this man. He is stubborn and romantic. He is non-confrontational and thoughtful, methodical really. Logic is important to him, yet he values feelings and the unseen regions of the spirit. He is disciplined and compassionate. He resists change and values loyalty. He understands family bonds and the importance of patience, tolerance and unconditional love.

We can walk together for miles or for just a quick trip to the corner store and find interesting silences and conversation.

He will be my drill instructor but only if I ask him to be and only if he sees results. He accepts me as I am and encourages my forays into areas that may not seem to be "me." He loves me and I love him. We are best friends, forever.