Wednesday, January 13

Crisis



God help Haiti.

Years ago, I had a traffic accident and discovered that I had allowed my auto insurance to lapse. My car was totalled and the police reported that I was the cause of the accident and liable for the damages. I had just remarried and did not want to tell my new husband about either of these bad mistakes. I told a good and very savvy friend of this problem, hoping she would have a slick solution for me.

"What should I do," I asked.

"Pray," she said.

At the time, her advice seemed almost cruel and sarcastic, but I accepted her words and later after much thought, I accepted that no one but me and God could solve this problem.

Yesterday, when I heard about the earthquake in Haiti, the press reported that President Obama's "... 'thoughts and prayers' were with the people of Haiti after it was struck by a major earthquake and pledged to come to their aid if needed."

"Thoughts and prayers!"

"What kind of lame response is this," I thought. I had the same feeling about this advice in response to overwhelming disaster as I did years ago when confronted with a crisis of my own.

I have since read the President's White House news conference comments which were much more specific and comforting. But, the hard truth is that in times of crisis, prayer delivers the hope, mental relief, and the strength that one needs to go on. It is the gulp of air needed to sustain that long swim back to shore. It is the match flame when the lights go out. It is peace in the midst of chaos. It is the first refuge of the afflicted. I pray that the suffering ends soon in Haiti, and I donate what I can to provide the tangible aid people need right now.

May all beings know love, peace and comfort.