Tuesday, May 10

Get Your Hands Dirty


Yesterday evening, my friend and I began our "Pottery for Beginners" classes.  I remember that in my twenties, I made fun of middle aged women who crafted, quilted, potted, found satisfaction in homely, hand made things.  For a time, my Mom tried decoupage and water color painting, both of which she enjoyed and was good at.  Even after her inspiring example, I still couldn't "find the time" to create something from scratch, to get my hands dirty, to learn a new skill.

Well, instead of making fun of someone, I'm now simply making fun.  For those twenty-somethings, busy with work, romance, etc., I hope you will bypass the scoffing and find the fun and satisfaction of creating something from a blob of clay or paint, or fabric, or all of the above.  Several women in the class not only work with clay, potting or sculpting, but also make jewelery, textiles, paintings, and other beautiful things.  It seems that once a person catches the "get your hands dirty" bug, the sky is the limit.

My first few attempts at making a clay cylinder, simple as it sounds, were intense and rewarding.  Our instructors, Dennis and Julie, made my stiff and pokey fingers work magic through patient explanation, example and encouragement.  Maybe the real reward for making things is the addition of a whole new set of friends sharing similar interests and experiences.

Now, on to the glazing and firing!