Thursday, May 8

Footprints



Some friends from Los Angeles visited the Amazon last month and raved about the beauty of this wild place. They were astonished at the abundance of plants, animals, birds and insects.

"You can't image the huge flocks of birds in the Amazon," said Sandy.

"Insects are everywhere including the most poisonous ants in the world. Herds of monkies followed us which was scary because we weren't used to seeing so many animals in one place." She went on to describe the fish and spiders they saw and how the wildness of this massive river area was in jeopardy because of the effects of deforestation and global warming. She also explained how strict the Brazillian government is about conserving and protecting its natural resources which was hopeful. In fact, recent studies report that the consumers of Brazil and India are among the most environmentally conscious and that US consumers are the least conservation oriented.

These facts and other things I've observed over the years cause me to question American values that promote a bigger house, more possessions, convenience, and a disdain for non-American people, places and things. George W. Bush is a perfect representative of this value set and his dismissal of global warming in the face of worldwide scientific and government pressure is pure USA. Even the American concept of "recycling" seems to be a band aid trying to cover up the creeping destruction of greed. It does nothing to suggest a drastic change in how Americans live, work and entertain themselves. Recent insanity is the biofuels energy fad - slapping down the more intelligent and planet friendly solar energy solution. So, even when Americans think they are responding to a crisis, we are creating one - food shortages!

I'm not one to talk, though. I'm American to the core. I'm an overweight, white woman living in the most selfish and resource-guzzling city in the world so I'm not a model of intelligence and restraint. Over the past few years, I've become much more appreciative of those "impoverished" nations that manage to survive on air. It takes real intelligence, effort and spirit to live with a harsh and pitiless mother nature. There is no doubt that I prefer my world to be clean (i.e., able to use lots of water), healthful (i.e., able to use pesticides, drugs, toxic cleansers to kill bugs, bacteria), convenient (i.e., lots of energy burning and smog producing cars, technology, waste), and fun (i.e., no physical exertion except a visit to the gym, movies, DVDs, CDs, TVs...). When I envision a world of hard work, stuggle and limitation which is what most of the world accepts and appreciates, I realize what a hypocrite I am for criticizing the lifestyle that I love.

However, it is time to "bite the bullet" as a famous and reviled former US president once said and the only way to do that under the eco-unfriendly Bush regime is to make small changes voluntarily. I am pleased to report that the small changes ( see recent blog) have resulted in a good sized savings in utilities usage and costs. I am training myself to think as if I lived in the middle of the desert, with limited water and energy resources. Wait a minute!! I do live in the middle of the desert - hmmm.

So... Kudos to Brazil and India for their tangible love of our mother earth and for providing an example of responsible stewardship of our precious resources.