Thursday, September 17

Vertical Variations

Windchimes - Napenthe, Big Sur, California

Ups and Downs - Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California

Sky Fence - Jerome, Arizona

Rusty Pilings - Avila Beach, California

Slice of Sea - Shell Beach, California

Little Black Dress


".., A poem, to my mind, creates visible or auditory forms for something which is invisible, which is the feeling, or the emotion, or the metaphysical content of the movement. Now it also may include action, but its attack is what I could call the "vertical" attack, and this may be a little bit clearer if you will contrast it to what I would call the "horizontal" attack of a drama, which is concerned with the development, let's say, within a very small situation from feeling to feeling." - Maya Deren, avante-garde filmaker, poet and choreographer


At least three or four times a year, I try to take a spectacular photo of the full moon. I have a great camera with many megapixels worth of resolution, a good quality telephoto lens, and a tripod worthy of any pro photog. My efforts to express the inexpressible beauty of a glorious full moon are disappointing.

In my viewfinder, I see the silver gleam, the network of craters, those spidery impact lines, all of which are magnifed and breathtaking under the city lights. What shows up on my computer screen is often blurry, unfocused, overblown, missing the delicate aura and sharp clarity of this fascinating satellite. My vision of this rather ordinary and natural event is influenced by my feelings. How do I express the joyful sadness of a full moon?

Clown in the Moon
by Dylan Thomas

My tears are like the quiet drift
Of petals from some magic rose;
And all my grief flows from the rift
Of unremembered skies and snows.

I think, that if I touched the earth,
It would crumble;
It is so sad and beautiful,
So tremulously like a dream