Monday, January 25

Keepin it Fresh






"If your garbage cans get knocked over and it rains, all of that trash is going to go down into the curb, into the gutter, into a storm drain, which goes into a riverbed that flows all the way out into the ocean. If you come to a beach cleanup you'll see it and want to use less Styrofoam and less plastic." - Kim Masoner of Save Our Beach

Last week's massive storms dumped huge piles of garbage on Southern California beaches, but Masoner notes that the garbage contains less plastic and styrofoam which cause great harm to fish and other ocean wildlife. Apparently, recycling programs work on several levels, among them are less waste in landfills and less waste in the oceans.

This is encouraging and reassuring news. It shows that each person can and does make a difference in our world. I am so happy that buying less plastic, bringing my own cup/bag/container to stores and restaurants is worth the effort. The habit of recycling and conserving does take effort and the most effective effort for me was to change my thinking.

Once I started to think of my yard as an extension of my living room, and my sidewalk as an extension of my yard, and the roadways and public spaces as just another hallway and room in my house; I found it easier to be less wasteful and thoughtless. It feels good to keep my house and the world fresh, clean, and clutter free!