Sunday, November 14

Soul Searching and Breast Beating...

Seems like the Democrats keep trying to search someone else's soul to find out "what went wrong" in this last election. Here's Josh Marshall's take on this strange and unsatisfying behavior. We Democrats need to get over ourselves and get to work. There are so many important issues to get moving on, this shyt just gives the Republicans an extra gift of wasted oppotunity! Move on.

I got a letter from John Kerry the other day. It was a letter that acknowledge our loss, our hard work in getting him elected and, most importantly, our resolve to stand up for our convictions. These thoughts, more than any others, represent what it means to lose a campaign, but not lose your bearings or your commitment to your beliefs. I won't include all of the comments here, because if you contributed money to the Kerry campaign, you probably got the letter too, but here's a comment that resonates in my mind and heart.

"You and I owe it to ourselves and to the millions of people who voted for us on November 2, to play an active role in the political life of our nation."

His personal gratitude for my support and the support of millions is what makes me proud and happy to have been his supporter. I voted in many presidential elections and contributed to some, but this is the first thank you letter I've ever received from the losing candidate.

I'm impressed. His heartfelt gratitude and resolution to continue working toward our common goals reassures me that I did not spend my time and energies supporting a loser or someone who's time has come and gone.

We lost the presidential election. It was critical. Millions in poverty, millions of women, millions of immigrants, millions of workers will suffer the consequences at some point. It would have been better if Kerry were elected. He wasn't.

The majority in this country showed up and voted their consciences. I respect their convictions, even though I don't share them. I have always found common ground on which to walk and talk with people with whom I have political differences. The common ground is love of family, love of God, love of country.

Given those common denominators, it's important to recognize that Americans "agree to disagree" on major governmental policies and stop buying into the fearful and stupid campaign marketing machines on both sides.

I appreciate Kerry's "thank you" letter. It means a lot.